Skip to main content

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Written by Stephen Chbosky

Originally published in 1999

About 213 pages

Rate 10/10


My summary of The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Charlie is just barely going into his freshman year of high school and the only close friend he has ever had recently killed himself. The first person he becomes friends with in high school is his English teacher, named Bill, who gives him books to read. Charlie is trying to learn how to participate once again has he makes his way through high school. He meets two kind seniors Sam and Patrick who carry him under their wings. However, sometimes Charlie doesn't understand certain aspects of friendships and relationships. Through the help of his family and friends, he begins to understand what living truly means.


My thoughts on The Perks of Being a Wallflower

This was a very emotional book that contained many instances of abuse and sexual assault; it was extremely gut-retching. However, it was also beautiful at the same time reading about how Charlie processed his experiences. Most of the main characters in this book were beautiful people, in the sense that they had great minds and emotional intelligence. Some might see Charlie as a fragile little boy, but I think the fact that he feels comfortable enough to cry as often as he did was powerful.

This was such an impactful book, I don't think I could ever structure my thoughts perfectly enough to articulate just how much I enjoyed it. The amount of symbolism and the fact that it's written as letters was amazing. This book was beautiful, and it is infinite.

Quotes:

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be." (2)

"It would be very nice to have a friend again. I would like that even more than a date." (21)

"We accept the love we think we deserve." (24)

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." (39)

"I don't know if you've ever felt like that. that you wanted to sleep for a thousand years. Or just not exist. Or just not be aware that you do exist. Or something like that. I think wanting that is very morbid, but I want it when I get like this. That's why I'm trying not to think. I just want it all to stop spinning. If this gets any worse, I might have to go back to the doctor. It's getting that bad again." (94)

Want to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower? Here's the link to Barnes and Noble: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

There is also a film adaptation: TPOBAW Film

Popular Posts

The Shining

  The Shining Written by Stephen King About 560 pages (mass market paper back ed.) Originally published in 1977 Rate 4/5 This is the second book my Themes in Literature class is reading. So far we have only covered Carrie ( hover over this to check out my book review for Carrie ). Though this story has been referenced in the media many times throughout my existence, I tried to avoid it at all costs because I wasn't a fan of horror. Junior year of high school I took a film studies class. The "here's Johnny" scene was briefly mentioned and I was so scared. After reading the book, I now realize how exaggerated my feelings about this story were. I haven't watched the movie and maybe if I did then I would side with my younger self, but right now I feel a little embarrassed. The book wasn't that scary. What is The Shining about? Jack Torrance has recently been fired. One of his good friends gets him a job at The Outlook Hotel, his job is to look after the hotel for

The Siren

The Siren written by: Kiera Cass Genre(s): fantasy, fiction, and young adult Rate: 9/10 About the book: Kahlen is a young girl who is saved by the ocean after the boat she was on was destroyed. She then becomes a siren and is bound to serve the ocean for 90 years. After she has served her time, she can be set free and live a normal life forgetting about the time she was a siren. However, there are rules to her sentence as a siren and if she breaks them more time will be added. When she finds the love of her life, she breaks a rule. The ocean favors her the most out of all the sirens, so will she get time added or will the ocean set her free? Why I liked the book: The conflict was very well centered through out the whole book, things were added to the conflict that were reasonable making the book more of a page turner. The rules were simple and easy to follow. It gave a different point of view on sirens that I liked a lot, made them seem more human. A great sisterly bond that mad

Love & Olives

Love & Olives Published in 2020 with close to 500 pages Written by: Jenna Evans Welch Rate: 10/10 My summary of Love & Olives : Olive (Liv) Varanakis starts receiving postcards from her father (Nico) who she hasn't heard from in well over nine years. The last time Liv saw Nico, they were talking about finding the lost city of Atlantis, more importantly, how they were going to find the city together -- then he left.  Throughout Love & Olives Liv struggles with a lot of anxiety, especially when she finds out she has to go to Greece to visit her father and help him make a documentary for National Geographic (about the lost city of Atlantis.) Liv makes it to Greece only to discover her father made a whole new life for himself. While in Greece she meets a teenage boy named Theo, who is as obsessed about finding Atlantis as her father is. Liv not only discovers herself but also discovers how history rewrites itself without people realizing it.  My opinion about Love & O