Skip to main content

Lord of the Flies

 

Lord of the Flies
Written by William Golding

Originally published in 1954
About 200 pages
Rate 4.9/5

My summary of Lord of the Flies

A group of boys, ages 6-12, end up on a deserted island with no adults because their plane crashed. Ralph and Piggy find a conch and use it to call a meeting to gather all the boys together. A choir boy named Jack insists on being the leader, but because Ralph blew the conch the group deems him worthy of being called chief. Rules are put into action, but soon the boys grow restless having only fruit. Jack decides to lead a pack of boys to hunt for a pig. They find pleasure in the hunt, but feel as if something is watching them. Some of them start to think that maybe they are the ones being hunted.

My thoughts on Lord of the Flies

The only reason why I didn't give this book a solid five out of five was because of the fact that all the characters are boys and sometimes when there was dialogue it was tricky trying to tell who was talking because they all have the same pronouns. This however, is more of a me problem.

Going into this book, I knew that some people found it repulsive, so I knew there was going to be some sort of twist of fate. However, with that being said, I found foreshadowing moments only three chapters in. It could have been because I knew to look out for something terrible, or maybe it was just super obvious. Either way, the foreshadowing was brilliantly written.

Though this book was short, it took a while to get through because of the amount of annotations I wanted to make. I can totally see why English teachers love this book so much! There is so much to this story, the foreshadowing, the symbolism, the characters, etc. I get that this is a gruesome tale and it might not be for everyone, but if your the type of person who loves symbolism and analyzing things, this is the book for you!

(Spoilers!!) When I was reading this book I was trying to decide why it was called Lord of the Flies, and when Simon was talking with that pig head and the flies landed on him I thought oh is Simon the lord of the flies? Then as I read on, I realized that the lord of the flies isn't a person, it's a thing that's a part of all of us, it's the fact that whether we like it or not, we let fear control us. Of course there are many other things that can be analyzed, but because that's the name of the book I just thought it was so interesting.

Quotes

"He looked in astonishment, no longer at himself but at an awesome stranger."
"They were reminded of their personal sorrows; and perhaps felt themselves to share  in a sorrow that was universal."
"I know about people. I know about me. And him. He can't hurt you: but if you stand out of the way he'd hurt the next thing. And that's me."

Links

Buy it at Barnes and Noble

Popular Posts

The Shining

  The Shining Written by Stephen King About 560 pages (mass market paper back ed.) Originally published in 1977 Rate 4/5 This is the second book my Themes in Literature class is reading. So far we have only covered Carrie ( hover over this to check out my book review for Carrie ). Though this story has been referenced in the media many times throughout my existence, I tried to avoid it at all costs because I wasn't a fan of horror. Junior year of high school I took a film studies class. The "here's Johnny" scene was briefly mentioned and I was so scared. After reading the book, I now realize how exaggerated my feelings about this story were. I haven't watched the movie and maybe if I did then I would side with my younger self, but right now I feel a little embarrassed. The book wasn't that scary. What is The Shining about? Jack Torrance has recently been fired. One of his good friends gets him a job at The Outlook Hotel, his job is to look after the hotel for

The Siren

The Siren written by: Kiera Cass Genre(s): fantasy, fiction, and young adult Rate: 9/10 About the book: Kahlen is a young girl who is saved by the ocean after the boat she was on was destroyed. She then becomes a siren and is bound to serve the ocean for 90 years. After she has served her time, she can be set free and live a normal life forgetting about the time she was a siren. However, there are rules to her sentence as a siren and if she breaks them more time will be added. When she finds the love of her life, she breaks a rule. The ocean favors her the most out of all the sirens, so will she get time added or will the ocean set her free? Why I liked the book: The conflict was very well centered through out the whole book, things were added to the conflict that were reasonable making the book more of a page turner. The rules were simple and easy to follow. It gave a different point of view on sirens that I liked a lot, made them seem more human. A great sisterly bond that mad

Love & Olives

Love & Olives Published in 2020 with close to 500 pages Written by: Jenna Evans Welch Rate: 10/10 My summary of Love & Olives : Olive (Liv) Varanakis starts receiving postcards from her father (Nico) who she hasn't heard from in well over nine years. The last time Liv saw Nico, they were talking about finding the lost city of Atlantis, more importantly, how they were going to find the city together -- then he left.  Throughout Love & Olives Liv struggles with a lot of anxiety, especially when she finds out she has to go to Greece to visit her father and help him make a documentary for National Geographic (about the lost city of Atlantis.) Liv makes it to Greece only to discover her father made a whole new life for himself. While in Greece she meets a teenage boy named Theo, who is as obsessed about finding Atlantis as her father is. Liv not only discovers herself but also discovers how history rewrites itself without people realizing it.  My opinion about Love & O