Skip to main content

The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes

 

The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes
Written by Suzanne Collins

About 517 pages
Originally published in 2020
Rate: 5/5

Coriolanus Snow is the future president of Panem. The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes is not only his origin story, but the origin story of The Mockingjay. No, I am not talking about the birds that the government created in order to spy on the district people. I am talking about The Mockingjay whom we all know and love, Katniss Everdeen. Though Katniss Everdeen's full name isn't explicitly stated, she lives in this book. Her presence is known decades before she's born. "One way or another, their fates were irrevocably linked." (p. 25)

Coriolanus, along side his classmates, are mentors for the 10th annual Hunger Games. He wants to win, to prove he is worthy, to bring pride to his family's name. However, when he gets assigned to the person voted least-likely-to-win, the girl from district 12, he feels as if he's been slapped in the face by the higher-ups. He watches as her name gets called from the reaping, Lucy Gray Baird. She takes the stage and begins to sing. The crowd loves her, but what good will that do in the games?

My thoughts on The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

I don't even know how many times I had to force myself to put this book down. After I had finished reading The Hunger Games I knew that I would want to read this book and I am glad I did. Reading this book made me loved The Hunger Games trilogy even more.

This book is about an unlikable person within The Hunger Games universe. We aren't suppose to be rooting for him; we know who he becomes. However, there was still hope for him to change in these days and that's what makes it all so captivating. Things could have ended differently had he been brought up in a better environment with different teachers. Maybe then he could have truly fallen in love with the idea of freedom, love, and humanity. He wasn't fortunate enough to think for himself, he was taught only to think about what's best for the capitol. 

So why rebel? Why think for yourself? Why break the system if it benefits you and the people you care about?

Movie reveal


 
The Spoiler Section: Questions & Connections

The hanging tree lore, the three finger salute, I think they might be connected. When Arlo is about to fall, he calls out to his lover, his sentence is four syllables long. The mockingjays pick up the noise he makes, but don't say the words, it's more like whistle notes. When people do the three finger salute they whistle four notes. When people do the three finger salute, they kiss their finger. Arlo cried out to his lover, kissing is romantic. Arlo supposedly killed three people, people hold up three fingers in the salute.

Still stuck trying to decide which one of the Covey people is related to Katniss if any at all. There so many interesting connections between Lucy Gray and Katniss, but I feel like that would too much of a coincidence. I wonder if Lucy Gray lived on or if 

I also noticed an interesting amount of similarities between Taylor Swift's songs and the plot of the book. The Archer, Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince, Betty, and My Tears Ricochet just to name a few. 

Quotes

"Try not to look down on people who had to choose death or disgrace." (176)
"Fueled by the terror of being prey, how quickly he himself had become a predator." (291)
"People aren't so bad, really, it's what the world does to them. Like us in the arena. We did things in there we'd never have considered if they'd just left us alone." (492)

Links

Popular Posts

The Shining

  The Shining Written by Stephen King About 560 pages (mass market paper back ed.) Originally published in 1977 Rate 4/5 This is the second book my Themes in Literature class is reading. So far we have only covered Carrie ( hover over this to check out my book review for Carrie ). Though this story has been referenced in the media many times throughout my existence, I tried to avoid it at all costs because I wasn't a fan of horror. Junior year of high school I took a film studies class. The "here's Johnny" scene was briefly mentioned and I was so scared. After reading the book, I now realize how exaggerated my feelings about this story were. I haven't watched the movie and maybe if I did then I would side with my younger self, but right now I feel a little embarrassed. The book wasn't that scary. What is The Shining about? Jack Torrance has recently been fired. One of his good friends gets him a job at The Outlook Hotel, his job is to look after the hotel for

The Siren

The Siren written by: Kiera Cass Genre(s): fantasy, fiction, and young adult Rate: 9/10 About the book: Kahlen is a young girl who is saved by the ocean after the boat she was on was destroyed. She then becomes a siren and is bound to serve the ocean for 90 years. After she has served her time, she can be set free and live a normal life forgetting about the time she was a siren. However, there are rules to her sentence as a siren and if she breaks them more time will be added. When she finds the love of her life, she breaks a rule. The ocean favors her the most out of all the sirens, so will she get time added or will the ocean set her free? Why I liked the book: The conflict was very well centered through out the whole book, things were added to the conflict that were reasonable making the book more of a page turner. The rules were simple and easy to follow. It gave a different point of view on sirens that I liked a lot, made them seem more human. A great sisterly bond that mad

Love & Olives

Love & Olives Published in 2020 with close to 500 pages Written by: Jenna Evans Welch Rate: 10/10 My summary of Love & Olives : Olive (Liv) Varanakis starts receiving postcards from her father (Nico) who she hasn't heard from in well over nine years. The last time Liv saw Nico, they were talking about finding the lost city of Atlantis, more importantly, how they were going to find the city together -- then he left.  Throughout Love & Olives Liv struggles with a lot of anxiety, especially when she finds out she has to go to Greece to visit her father and help him make a documentary for National Geographic (about the lost city of Atlantis.) Liv makes it to Greece only to discover her father made a whole new life for himself. While in Greece she meets a teenage boy named Theo, who is as obsessed about finding Atlantis as her father is. Liv not only discovers herself but also discovers how history rewrites itself without people realizing it.  My opinion about Love & O