Skip to main content

Carrie

 

Carrie
Written by Stephen King

About 290 pages
Originally published in 1974
Rate 4.5/5
This is the first time I have ever finished reading a horror book. Back when I was in elementary school, my peers read "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". When I tried to read a couple of the stories in that book, I felt terrified and I remembered the stories for too long after so I stopped reading. 

This year I decided to take a course called 'Themes in Literature'. This course focuses on Stephen King's stories. I knew what the course was about before hand, and I knew that I had never felt great about reading ghost stories, but I wanted to read some of King's work. Carrie is the first book the class is reading. We have a set required list, nine books in total so there will be an abundance of Stephen King's books on here in the near future.

I had, of course, seen clips from the 2013 Carrie movie on social media and was intrigued. I was planning on reading Carrie before I joined this class, but hadn't started it yet. Reading Carrie with a crowd was a little difficult because some people shared major spoilers in class. I started reading Carrie knowing little to nothing about the story. 

What is Carrie about?

Carrie is a teenage girl who is constantly the butt of the joke until one day, on prom night, the power dynamics shift. This is a revenge story. 

My thoughts on Carrie (some spoilers) 

There are so many elements in this story that make me love it so much. 

After years of being tormented by her peers, and even random people from town, Carrie finally has a night where everything is seemingly normal. It's hard to say whether everyone had the best intentions when they were nice to her, but I think that Tommy and Sue's actions were genuine toward Carrie in the end.

I also really liked the religious aspect of the story. Carrie's mom is so extreme and there are a lot of people out there just like that with kids just like Carrie, however, they won't be able to attain the same amount of power as Carrie. They might be stuck living the same lives as their parents. It's tragic.

This didn't feel like a super crazy horror story because there were no ghosts in it and my perception of horror revolved around there being ghosts. My definition was wrong. I liked reading Carrie and I did watch the 2013 Carrie movie and liked that as well. 

I feel for Carrie. I think the real horror of this story would be not understanding where Carrie is coming from. Yes, she went wild in the end, but my god, look what they did to her. Look what her mother did to her. Her life was so unfair. 

In class, my professor told us that horror stories always contain allegories. In Carrie I found that people experience different types of horror, but the one horror we can all face at any given time is being unloved by people who were born to care for us. So be kind to everyone, always. 

Also, random connection but, it seems like Taylor Swift's song "You're On Your Own, Kid" mentions Carrie. She sings, "I looked around in a blood soaked gown and I saw something they can't take from me."

Quotes

I couldn't find a lot of out-of-context-good quotes, but here are two.

"It is so easy to forget one thing: we were kids. We were kids. We were kids trying to do our best..."

"She would never be quite the same golden girl again in the eyes of her mates. She had done an ungovernable, dangerous thing--she had broken cover and shown her face.

Links

Stephen King's website

Popular Posts

The Shining

  The Shining Written by Stephen King About 560 pages (mass market paper back ed.) Originally published in 1977 Rate 4/5 This is the second book my Themes in Literature class is reading. So far we have only covered Carrie ( hover over this to check out my book review for Carrie ). Though this story has been referenced in the media many times throughout my existence, I tried to avoid it at all costs because I wasn't a fan of horror. Junior year of high school I took a film studies class. The "here's Johnny" scene was briefly mentioned and I was so scared. After reading the book, I now realize how exaggerated my feelings about this story were. I haven't watched the movie and maybe if I did then I would side with my younger self, but right now I feel a little embarrassed. The book wasn't that scary. What is The Shining about? Jack Torrance has recently been fired. One of his good friends gets him a job at The Outlook Hotel, his job is to look after the hotel for

The Siren

The Siren written by: Kiera Cass Genre(s): fantasy, fiction, and young adult Rate: 9/10 About the book: Kahlen is a young girl who is saved by the ocean after the boat she was on was destroyed. She then becomes a siren and is bound to serve the ocean for 90 years. After she has served her time, she can be set free and live a normal life forgetting about the time she was a siren. However, there are rules to her sentence as a siren and if she breaks them more time will be added. When she finds the love of her life, she breaks a rule. The ocean favors her the most out of all the sirens, so will she get time added or will the ocean set her free? Why I liked the book: The conflict was very well centered through out the whole book, things were added to the conflict that were reasonable making the book more of a page turner. The rules were simple and easy to follow. It gave a different point of view on sirens that I liked a lot, made them seem more human. A great sisterly bond that mad

Love & Olives

Love & Olives Published in 2020 with close to 500 pages Written by: Jenna Evans Welch Rate: 10/10 My summary of Love & Olives : Olive (Liv) Varanakis starts receiving postcards from her father (Nico) who she hasn't heard from in well over nine years. The last time Liv saw Nico, they were talking about finding the lost city of Atlantis, more importantly, how they were going to find the city together -- then he left.  Throughout Love & Olives Liv struggles with a lot of anxiety, especially when she finds out she has to go to Greece to visit her father and help him make a documentary for National Geographic (about the lost city of Atlantis.) Liv makes it to Greece only to discover her father made a whole new life for himself. While in Greece she meets a teenage boy named Theo, who is as obsessed about finding Atlantis as her father is. Liv not only discovers herself but also discovers how history rewrites itself without people realizing it.  My opinion about Love & O