Skip to main content

Difference Matters: Communicating Social Identity (2nd Ed.)

 

Difference Matters: Communicating Social Identity
Written by Brenda J. Allen

About 197 pages
Originally published in 2004
Rate 4/5

I was introduced to Difference Matters in my Intercultural Communication Encounters class at Utah Valley University. Difference Matters corresponds with many subject matters within the classroom and in the real world. Difference Matters is formatted as a textbook, which might sound really dull to the majority of potential readers, but I assure you, it was not a waste of time.

Brenda J. Allen brings her own life experiences into the textbook as well as other people's. As Allen communicates her experiences, she picks apart expects of the interactions and teaches us why difference(s) matters.

In Difference Matters, we learn why power, gender, race, social class, sexuality, ability, and age matter when we are communicating social identities. "Humans engage in social processes to manufacture differences; they refer to dominant belief systems to conclude that some differences are more important than others; and they assign value-based meanings to those differences." (Allen, 184)

My thoughts on Difference Matters: Communicating Social Identity

I really enjoyed having Difference Matters as an assigned reading for my Intercultural Communication Encounters class because it gave me and my classmates the opportunity to discuss the array of topics within it. The discussions were a big part of why I liked reading the book so much; if you choose to read this, talk about it with others.

A part from the interesting discussions Difference Matters was involved in, it was also very educational. Difference Matters and the professor introduced me to topics I would have normally shied away from, which is another reason I liked it so much. I haven't had the opportunity to read something like this until now, and now that I have, I want to read more. 

Links

Popular Posts

The Shining

  The Shining Written by Stephen King About 560 pages (mass market paper back ed.) Originally published in 1977 Rate 4/5 This is the second book my Themes in Literature class is reading. So far we have only covered Carrie ( hover over this to check out my book review for Carrie ). Though this story has been referenced in the media many times throughout my existence, I tried to avoid it at all costs because I wasn't a fan of horror. Junior year of high school I took a film studies class. The "here's Johnny" scene was briefly mentioned and I was so scared. After reading the book, I now realize how exaggerated my feelings about this story were. I haven't watched the movie and maybe if I did then I would side with my younger self, but right now I feel a little embarrassed. The book wasn't that scary. What is The Shining about? Jack Torrance has recently been fired. One of his good friends gets him a job at The Outlook Hotel, his job is to look after the hotel for

The Siren

The Siren written by: Kiera Cass Genre(s): fantasy, fiction, and young adult Rate: 9/10 About the book: Kahlen is a young girl who is saved by the ocean after the boat she was on was destroyed. She then becomes a siren and is bound to serve the ocean for 90 years. After she has served her time, she can be set free and live a normal life forgetting about the time she was a siren. However, there are rules to her sentence as a siren and if she breaks them more time will be added. When she finds the love of her life, she breaks a rule. The ocean favors her the most out of all the sirens, so will she get time added or will the ocean set her free? Why I liked the book: The conflict was very well centered through out the whole book, things were added to the conflict that were reasonable making the book more of a page turner. The rules were simple and easy to follow. It gave a different point of view on sirens that I liked a lot, made them seem more human. A great sisterly bond that mad

Love & Olives

Love & Olives Published in 2020 with close to 500 pages Written by: Jenna Evans Welch Rate: 10/10 My summary of Love & Olives : Olive (Liv) Varanakis starts receiving postcards from her father (Nico) who she hasn't heard from in well over nine years. The last time Liv saw Nico, they were talking about finding the lost city of Atlantis, more importantly, how they were going to find the city together -- then he left.  Throughout Love & Olives Liv struggles with a lot of anxiety, especially when she finds out she has to go to Greece to visit her father and help him make a documentary for National Geographic (about the lost city of Atlantis.) Liv makes it to Greece only to discover her father made a whole new life for himself. While in Greece she meets a teenage boy named Theo, who is as obsessed about finding Atlantis as her father is. Liv not only discovers herself but also discovers how history rewrites itself without people realizing it.  My opinion about Love & O