Skip to main content

Insurgent

 

Insurgent
(Divergent Book 2)

Written by Veronica Roth
Originally published in 2012
~530 pages
Rate: 3/5

My summary of Insurgent

After the attack on Abnegation, Erudite advance with their plans of turning everyone into a mindless slave. Tris, among other Dauntless soldiers scatter throughout the city; some end up regrouping later on. Tris feels as though it's her job to do as much as she can to help the war end, but in doing so, she ends up giving more information about the Divergent to Jeanine. The Factionless began to form an army of their own and team up with Dauntless to help bring down Erudite and the rest of Jeanine's followers. 

My thoughts on Insurgent

The beginning of the book started right where Divergent ended so that was good. It made it easy to understand what was going on and there wasn't any unnecessary repetitive information about any events that happened in the previous book.

The middle of the story is where things felt off. I don't think some of the actions that Tris did was necessary for the plot, I could see it necessary for building relationships with certain characters though. However, I'll have to see how those relationships pan out to see if it was worth it.

Speaking of relationships, Tris and Tobias argued a lot in this book, and given the fact that Christina also wasn't on good terms with Tris it was a hard read. I get needing to have some hardship, but there was little to no cute moments and I think a story needs to have light heartedness in order to balance the story. Tris got on my nerves a bit, but I understand why she did what she did considering how difficult her life was at certain points in time.

Overall, I don't know if all parts of the story were necessary and Tris annoyed me more often than not. So that's why I rated the book a bit lower, the thing that saved the book was the ending. I completely forgot about what happened so I'm super interested in reading the next book so see how everything pans out. It's supposed to be the last book, but there's a prequel that I'll probably read after as well.

Links

Popular Posts

The Shining

  The Shining Written by Stephen King About 560 pages (mass market paper back ed.) Originally published in 1977 Rate 4/5 This is the second book my Themes in Literature class is reading. So far we have only covered Carrie ( hover over this to check out my book review for Carrie ). Though this story has been referenced in the media many times throughout my existence, I tried to avoid it at all costs because I wasn't a fan of horror. Junior year of high school I took a film studies class. The "here's Johnny" scene was briefly mentioned and I was so scared. After reading the book, I now realize how exaggerated my feelings about this story were. I haven't watched the movie and maybe if I did then I would side with my younger self, but right now I feel a little embarrassed. The book wasn't that scary. What is The Shining about? Jack Torrance has recently been fired. One of his good friends gets him a job at The Outlook Hotel, his job is to look after the hotel for

The Siren

The Siren written by: Kiera Cass Genre(s): fantasy, fiction, and young adult Rate: 9/10 About the book: Kahlen is a young girl who is saved by the ocean after the boat she was on was destroyed. She then becomes a siren and is bound to serve the ocean for 90 years. After she has served her time, she can be set free and live a normal life forgetting about the time she was a siren. However, there are rules to her sentence as a siren and if she breaks them more time will be added. When she finds the love of her life, she breaks a rule. The ocean favors her the most out of all the sirens, so will she get time added or will the ocean set her free? Why I liked the book: The conflict was very well centered through out the whole book, things were added to the conflict that were reasonable making the book more of a page turner. The rules were simple and easy to follow. It gave a different point of view on sirens that I liked a lot, made them seem more human. A great sisterly bond that mad

Love & Olives

Love & Olives Published in 2020 with close to 500 pages Written by: Jenna Evans Welch Rate: 10/10 My summary of Love & Olives : Olive (Liv) Varanakis starts receiving postcards from her father (Nico) who she hasn't heard from in well over nine years. The last time Liv saw Nico, they were talking about finding the lost city of Atlantis, more importantly, how they were going to find the city together -- then he left.  Throughout Love & Olives Liv struggles with a lot of anxiety, especially when she finds out she has to go to Greece to visit her father and help him make a documentary for National Geographic (about the lost city of Atlantis.) Liv makes it to Greece only to discover her father made a whole new life for himself. While in Greece she meets a teenage boy named Theo, who is as obsessed about finding Atlantis as her father is. Liv not only discovers herself but also discovers how history rewrites itself without people realizing it.  My opinion about Love & O